DISCLAIMER: As always, everything presented here is for entertainment and semi-educational purposes only. Please do not mistake this for mental health therapy or advice. If you need mental health counseling or treatment, please contact your insurance company, local college’s student counseling clinic, county crisis line, or the Psychology Today Portal.
NOTE: I had to stop doing that part of my weekly post where I rant about current events and give you some CBT-style journal prompt. It’s not you, it’s me. In addition to pulling longer hours at work, I’m working on putting out more books. You might like them, but I won’t know until I finish them. Current events still piss me off and I still hate society’s lack of distress tolerance. I just don’t have time to write about it each week and put out a weekly reading. I apologize.
I’m going to start with the non-Ukraine news:
- The Great Resignation of 2021 (workers quit their jobs in record numbers due to low pay and crappy conditions) is back in the news. Although a recent study showed 72% of Great Resigners regret leaving their jobs, the people polled probably didn’t live in Boston. Many Bostonians reported to Boston.com that the Great Resignation worked out great for them.
- Meanwhile, in “I told you so” news, researchers learned using the Internet as an escape and self-soothing tool only makes depression worse. So stop watching the “satisfying” videos and using social media as a coping skill. Perhaps switch to sites that teach you something, then put those somethings into practice. (Oh, and get off my lawn!!!)
- Marine scientists discovered giant sinkholes in the Arctic floor, around Canada’s Beaufort Sea. The good news is, scientists don’t believe the melting of the permafrost isn’t necessarily due to climate change. The bad news is, the melting permafrost is causing the ground to collapse and lakes to form and disappear.
- In what feels like No Shit, Sherlock news, psychological researchers believe psychopathy might be more of an adaptation to negative circumstances, rather than an actual disorder. But are you more likely to become a shitbag from shitty nurturing if your true nature is a little shitty? How does this shit begets shit thing work?
- Ever thought about cloning your pet? I can’t be the only one. Well, if you decide to drop the $25,000 to get Fluffy back, just know that it won’t be the same fuzzball who departed this world. You can read more about it here.
- Researchers have discovered electric fields might be more reliable than neurons in the memory process. Now you can no longer use the excuse that your neurons are misfiring.
- It wouldn’t be a day ending in ‘why?’ if I didn’t do a facepalm after reading about something dumb one of Trump’s sycophants did. Kari Lake, a former Fox News correspondent hoping to run for Governor of Arizona, just gave mind-numbingly stupid responses in an interview. Read all about it here.
- In more serious non-Ukraine news, Iran launched 12 missiles around the U.S. Consulate in Iraq. Thankfully the body count was one person. However, Iran chose right fucking now to warn Israel and the U.S. to stay out of Syria. I guess threatening World War III sends a stronger message than a singing telegram.
Now that you’re warmed up, here’s what I got on the Russia-Ukraine war:
- In case you needed a reminder that life has been disrupted for civilians on both sides of the war, Russia has shut down access to Instagram for its users. This has left Russian influencers in crisis. You can read about it right here.
- Did you know that Russia waltzed into this war $120 billion in debt to Western banks? Yep. J.P. Morgan and their cronies aren’t likely to see a dime of that. You can read about it right here.
- Russian President V-Pootz is now demanding that the rest of the world ease the sanctions against Russia or it will put a wrench in the nuclear deal with Iran. Methinks it’s not a coincidence that this bit of news came within a week of Iran bombing the U.S. Consulate in Iraq.
- V-Pootz is still proving that Russia’s misinformation game is strong. The latest in pot-stirring info fakery involves rumors about Russia using bioweapons. Although China has largely opted to stay out of the fray, they managed to get themselves implicated in the misinformation war.
- But why does Russia need China when they have former Rep. Tulsi Gabbard? You know how people cough to cover up a fart? She did the equivalent of that on Twitter when her ties to Russian oligarchs were questioned. You can read about it here.
- Remember how several American businesses pulled out of Russia, but McDonald’s, Starbucks, and Coca-Cola insisted on staying? Well, they changed their minds and have exited Russia. That’s the good news. The bad news is, a loophole in Russian trademark laws might keep Mickey D’s open.
- Meanwhile, Big Oil is using the Russia-Ukraine war to jack up the price of gas, even though the price of oil per barrel is dropping like it’s hot. Although the American government has nothing to do with the price of gas, Pres. Biden’s getting pissed. Read all about him demanding that the fat cats drop their prices right here.
If you’re concerned about Russian civilians being incarcerated for peaceful protests and speaking their minds, please consider donating to OVD-Info. This organization works tirelessly to make sure less Russian civilians are unjustly jailed. You can donate to OVD-Info right here.
If you can, please consider making a donation to Ukranians affected by the current crisis. Consider making a donation to Catholic Relief Services or the International Rescue Committee to provide displaced Ukranians with much needed food, shelter, and medical care. Or, if you are more concerned about the children, please donate to UNICEF. Honestly, anything helps at this point.
Check out the fundraiser to get this sweet boy named Orion a seizure alert dog. His original service dog passed away and poor Orion still asks about him. Orion’s family has been doing what they can to make dogs part of Orion’s therapy because he positively lights up when he works with them, but Orion still needs a service dog of his own. It looks like they raised way more than their goal, but I’m sure every little bit still helps. You can check it out here.
As always, I have to mention the MindBody/Wellness Research and Science Network group on Facebook. The chick who runs it takes an evidence-based approach to holistic topics. I appreciate her common sense-meets-spirituality way of doing things.
Aaaannnnyyyyhoo… Onto the Reading, Shall We…?
I asked the cards what we need to know about the week of 3/14/22 – 3/21/22 and I got: The Empress (number 3, “mommy issues,” nurturing, a warning against emotionally smothering others, a loving person, creativity, the need to let go of a creative project, productivity, and fertility); the Chariot (number 7, state of tension, traveling or transportation, the need to be in charge of one’s feelings in order to move forward, the need to exercise mind over matter); the Hanged Man (number 12, the need to surrender an old belief or habit, addictions, evaluating outworn patterns, surrender, a holding pattern, the need to have faith in oneself and let go); and Nine of Wands (number 9, defensiveness, the need to prove one’s point, having the same argument, the need to stand one’s ground, unpopular opinions, possibly intolerance or stubbornness). Holy crap!! Three out of four cards in this spread are Major Arcana cards. You know exactly what I’m going to say, but here I go anyway: A four-card spread with three Major Arcana cards means this will be a week with quite the ripple effect on your life. This is one of those weeks where you will need to pay attention to your internal world and what other people are doing. This spread starts with the creative, motherly Empress. She corresponds heavily to expressive, creative three energy. Although three energy is highly communicative and inspired, it is also scatterbrained and sucks at finishing projects. The Empress’ energy can go either way. She can either be the creative nurturer who wants to see you shine, or she can be the codependent who smothers you with guilt trips. Remember what I said about needing to pay attention not only to what’s going on in your world, but also what others are doing? The Empress sitting right next to The Chariot reinforces the vibe that this energy can go either way. Our Chariot friend is a card of using willpower to get to point B. It’s all about momentum, baby. The Chariot also corresponds to seven energy, which is highly spiritual and intellectual. Although it might seem weird to pair such a lofty, high-falootin’ energy with a card that’s focused on pushing forward, this combination has a very as above, so below-type correspondence to it. In simple terms, this means wherever you put your focus will determine your results. If you work through your exhaustion to stick to an exercise routine, then you will start to see results within the month. Conversely, if your idea of fitness is fittin-ness donut in my mouth, expect to see the results on your chonky butt. This energetic exchange between the Empress and the Chariot feels a bit more personal in nature, which is why I said watching others’ actions is just as important as observing your internal world. The relationships represented by these two cards feel like ones that trigger you in some way, especially if the trigger comes via a toxic mother figure, someone who regularly enables your crap, an unresolved relationship, or that emotionally abusive asshole in your life who tells you that you’re too sensitive. No matter who this person is, I feel like they are tied to some old, deep wounds. Unfortunately, this is one of the people in your life who come into your life, only to fuck things up and leave. The Empress and the Chariot are trying to tell you that this is the week where you decide whether this energy needs to get the hell out of your life. They are also saying you have the choice as to whether you use your pity party as an excuse to sabotage yourself, or use this icky trigger as fuel to push you towards something better. The combo of the Empress and the Chariot might also refer to love bombing, a slimy manipulation tactic that entails showering the target with all the attention, love, compliments, energy, gifts, etc that they can stand. It feels more overwhelming and dazzling than the vibe you get from someone who approaches you from a place of genuine caring. The love bomber is looking for an energetic hit. They need something from this transaction and don’t necessarily give a shit about you. If you are the love bomber, you might want to check your motives. Our third card, the Hanged Man, is a card of sacrifice and suspension. According to the Hanged Man, you can either sacrifice a part of yourself that no longer works for you—such as a bad habit, lethargy, an addiction, or a shitty relationship—or you can sacrifice yourself by letting the toxicity remain. The Hanged Man vibrates to 12 energy. This energy corresponds to the death and rebirth cycle, as well as completion, spiritual lessons, and higher consciousness. Twelve energy tells us that we should not interfere if our circumstances are separating us from that which just doesn’t work for us anymore, i.e. those aforementioned addictions, habits, and relationships. I feel like the Hanged Man is telling us to get the fuck off the commode and get rid of the things that poison us. This is a great week to start that exercise program, clean your house, finally do that art project, plan your exit from your job or relationship, or start examining any stale patterns. I feel like these first three cards talk about a set of circumstances that force you to confront your complacency, laziness, or a self-sabotaging habit you’ve kept around because it’s your normal. Meanwhile, the final card, the Nine of Wands, tells us that the past is not going to leave without a fight. The Nine of Wands often signifies having the same ol’ argument yet again, so this should be semi-familiar territory for you. Expect the schemers and shit-talkers in your life to rear their fetid, stupid heads. Those types tend to have their own sort of dumb bitch radar (Bitchdar (™) ) and can feel you pulling away on a goddamn genetic level. I don’t know how they do it, but the Bitchdar types always seem to sense when you are wandering away from their orbit and/or are doing something positive for yourself. They can’t have that because your glow up keeps them from feeding on your energy or just makes them look bad. Social media seems to be their petri dish, but you might also encounter them in the form of surprise texts from the siblings who normally can’t stand you, the frenemy telling you about all the people gossiping about you (so why was the gossiper comfortable sharing it with them?), your snake coworker being a little too nice when they ask you about your personal life, or anyone else you’ve put on the backburner for whatever reason. As always, the decision to let them in is yours, but it’s easier to keep your house clean and spray for the cockroaches you haven’t seen than to get rid of this situation:
PLEASE READ: I am not doing private readings for the foreseeable future. I have way too much going on to create content and be an effective reader. Please understand, this isn’t personal. I just need to clean my own mental and emotional house for now. If you want a badass reading, I suggest you hit up my friend Marshall Delaware. You can email him at email@example.com Also, I highly recommend you check out my Keen pal Silverbreeze. You can find her right here.
If you’re looking for an inspirational poem on finding your place in the world amongst a million ghosts, check out Joan Carol Bird’s latest. Hey, sharing is caring. While you’re at it, check out her newest collection of creepy tales right here.
I don’t know if you’ve heard about the abortion bans over the last year, but my OG readers can probably guess that grills my cheese in a bad way. Please consider donating to Planned Parenthood. The problem with banning abortion is, this makes a huge legal loophole for conservative legislators to make things like birth control or women’s healthcare cost prohibitive. Banning abortion also criminalizes doctors in situations where the pregnancy is nonviable and the fetus needs to be extracted in order to save the mother’s life. You know those babies conservative pro-life types don’t like paying for? Taking away abortion rights will most likely create more of those. I know, I know. Anyone who would read my blog probably doesn’t get stigmata or have a trauma reaction at the thought of Planned Parenthood. (If you do think I owe the world an apology for singing the praises of Planned Parenthood, I have two things to say to you. One, please remember what your religion told you about judging others and take a long look in the mirror. Two, perhaps you should acquaint yourself with other services Planned Parenthood provides. They offer women and men’s preventive healthcare, birth control and emergency contraception, HIV services, assistance for the transgender community, sexual assault crisis counseling, pregnancy counseling, and STD testing. You can learn more about these services right here.)
Also, consider donating to Blind Cat Rescue. They do wonders for blind and FLV+ cats.
For those of you who can’t resist a little subtle virtue signaling, why not buy a shirt that gives back? Arm the Animals has some of the cutest shirts I’ve seen in a long time, plus a portion of the proceeds go to shelter pets in need. I also love Meow.com because this site allows me to buy a new workout shirt and give to homeless kitties at the same time.
P.S. I managed to publish the first part of my first novel in 2019!! I’m excited and want to share it with you. Check out Water Torture Part One: Have You Checked the Children? Here. Please read and review it. Thank you!!
Did you like my buddy Marshall Delaware, aka G. G. MacLeod? Check out our latest political collab. He’s coming back in the near future, FYI. If you want to read an awesome historical fiction novel, you can get your hands on his book here. It may take place in Ancient Rome, but Augusta couldn’t be any more timely if it tried. He actually dropped Part Two a while ago and then gifted the world with Part Three. Part Four is right here. And, ehrmagerd, you can even score Part Five. For those of you who can’t do the piecemeal thing, check out The Omnibus Edition so you can get Volumes 1-6 in one place. I think you should go get it, Tiger!